Monday, March 28, 2016

Easter 2016

We have a track record for hosting infamous Easter celebrations here at our home, and this year was no different.

The first year after Iyla was born (2013), I ended up taking her to an after hours Emergency Clinic the day of our celebration due to her relentless crying & discomfort. After enduring a catheter, lots of poking and prodding and many tears, I was told she must be teething (which is hilarious in retrospect, given she was 4 months old and didn't get her first tooth until 15 months!) . She spent the rest of our celebration clinging to me in misery.

2014? Thankfully and miraculously drama free.

Then on the eve of our 2015 celebration, Iyla ended up splitting her chin open on the way to bed and we spent 4 hours at the ER, where our poor little lady had to get 5 stitches.

This year? At least for once it wasn't Iyla bringing on the excitement... it was BC.

The night before we were to host 16 family members at our home, he announced he hadn't been feeling well for most of the day. I promptly sent him up to bed and told him to stay away, rest, and wash his hands religiously.

He ended up spending the ENTIRE day of our celebration sequestered in an upstairs bedroom sick with some kind of achey/feverish virus. Which meant I had to assume the hosting duties for the both of us. My parents thankfully came up early and were a huge help, but I was still exhausted from it all. Being almost 6 months pregnant (and looking/feeling more like 8-9 months pregnant) + being on my feet all day + entertaining left me incredibly sore and spent.

Despite all of that we did manage to have a lovely celebration. True to my Easter tradition I had the meal catered (thank GOD!)- and Iyla was absolutely on Cloud Nine all.day.long, being bathed in love and attention and sugary treats.

Iyla had fun helping me decorate our Easter eggs in preparation for the big day:


On the morning of our gathering, I took Iyla with me to a client appointment (BC was supposed to be watching her during this, but alas, was too ill to help) and then out to run a few last minute errands. While we were at Target Iyla spied a fancy pink Easter dress in the toddler section and point blank told me that THIS was what she was going to wear for Easter. Never mind that I already had a dress purchased and waiting in her closet; I knew better than to tempt the Toddler Gods and the dress came home with us (thankfully on sale).

Iyla was absolutely thrilled to wear it, and insisted that I style her hair in a bun to complete the look. Then, when I inquired about which shoes she wanted to wear, she promptly informed me that "bears don't wear shoes." 

Alrighty then!

She then declared herself a "pink bear" and wore this ensemble for both days of the Easter weekend:


Mimi and Grampy brought her a special Easter basket, and her favorite spoils from it were gummy bears, a Sofia the First Clover bunny, and a wand toy:


When the rest of the family arrived, it was all I could do not to literally eat up our little cousin Samantha. So much cuteness!


Here, a few more shots from our gathering (where we also celebrated Uncle Doug and Shanny's birthdays):


We had our family celebration on the Saturday before Easter, and on Easter proper the "Easter Bunny" dropped off another basket for Iyla:


Hands down her favorite things in this basket were the new books: 101 Dalmations, Beauty and the Beast, Ella Bella Ballerina and Cinderella, and a Mermaid sticker activity book. Mimi, Grampy, and I took turns reading to her for the rest of the morning:


And much like Jesus, BC had his own miraculous resurrection on Sunday- arising from his sick bed with enough energy to go play golf with the boys (!).

So there you have it, another infamous Easter in the books!

No comments:

Post a Comment