Sunday, June 11, 2017

Kansas 2017

Iyla had her last day of school on Thursday, June 1st:

Here's comparing her with the very FIRST day last August! She's definitely grown a lot this year in every way- especially socially:

Last day Popsicle!

Then on Friday June 2nd we awoke early, packed up, and hopped on a plane to Kansas! We would be celebrating the girls' Great Grandma's 90th birthday (at a surprise party!), Grandma's 70th, and cousin Maggie's 5th.

Iyla- as expected- was totally content to watch a movie on her iPad. She didn't even want to look out the windows!

Eloise did as well as could be expected. I'd scheduled the first flight during her morning nap, HOPING she would sleep. She was definitely LOUD and fussy as she tried to fall asleep, and I quickly discovered that I had to literally turn my back to her to get her to self-soothe and fall asleep (in her mind I was RIGHT THERE so why wasn't I PLAYING WITH HER?)

She did finally fall asleep (in an extremely slumped over fashion that had me constantly checking her breathing) for all of 30 minutes, when the flight attendant's loudspeaker announcement awoke her.

When we arrived to Kansas, Iyla was on cloud nine! She kept exclaiming "We're in KANSAS!" to anyone and everyone we passed.

Then it was: "we're on a BUS!"

We got our rental car, installed car seats, and made our way out to Olathe to stay with BC's brother Chad and family. We took over cousin Jake's bedroom, where Eloise slept in the walk-in-closet. : )

True to form, Iyla was SO EXCITED and FULL ON the first day, playing and playing with cousin Nick:

Meanwhile Julie and I snuck out for an early girls' happy hour catch up:

The next day was Great Grandma's surprise party, where we'd be meeting up with the rest of the family. Iyla and Eloise looked adorable in their matching yellow dresses!

The eyelashes on this kid never cease to amaze me

That evening all of the family returned to Uncle Chad's house for a BBQ to celebrate Grandma's birthday. This was now night #2, and our little introverted 4 year old was beginning to show signs of wear. Around 8pm that night she told me she needed a little quiet time, and as I laid her down on a basement couch she told me: "I'm OK being alone Mama." Sweet girl.

On Sunday morning (day 3) we headed to Grandma and Grandpa's for a birthday brunch for cousin Maggie:

Eloise made sure to sample the local Kansas leaves in Grandma and Grandpa's backyard:

This was the first time in years that all 7 of the Lambert siblings were together, so they took the opportunity to recreate an infamous family portrait.


2017 take:

Sunday night Grandma came to watch the little kids while the big "kids" went out for a Sibling Dinner on the town:

Come Monday we took off for Phase 2 of our trip and headed to a hotel in the Plaza:

I took the girls swimming in the hotel pool before we headed out to a family dinner - complete with Margarita flights!

We had a 2 room hotel suite, so Eloise had a the living room to herself while Iyla happily curled up in a floor bed in the bedroom with us:

On Tuesday morning (day 5) BC took Iyla to Kaleidoscope World, a place he loved to visit as a child:

While big sister was away, Eloise lost no time taking over and tasting all of Iyla's forbidden toys:

That afternoon a friend of mine from high school - whom I haven't seen in 23 years and who now lives in Kansas - stopped by our hotel to say hello:

We then went out to another family dinner, complete with a stop for the obligatory last night of vacation ice cream:

On Wednesday (our last day) BC took Iyla out for a morning adventure to the aquarium before we headed back to Grandma and Grandpa's to spend a little more time with family before our evening flight:

That evening (while already at the airport) we learned that our 6:10 flight was delayed and not taking off until 7:45- NOT good news from a bedtime/sleeping perspective!

On the flight I had the girls on each side of me, and around 8:30 Iyla passed out with her head in my lap. Now Eloise? She was kicking and chatting and playing and just partying it up until 9:30 when she FINALLY nodded off. We landed at 10pm, and Eloise promptly woke right back up. Iyla, however, was SO tired, disoriented, and sad. I had to carry her throughout the airport, and she took any and every opportunity to snooze again:

When we got home at 11, Iyla went right to bed. Eloise was still WIDE AWAKE and happy- so I nursed her again around 11:15 and put her to bed. She's a little party girl, that one!

We had a great trip and loved getting back to our Midwestern stomping grounds (the cooler air! The soft green grass!) and catching up with so much family.

Now: on to summertime in Austin! We are looking forward to a relaxed (albeit hot) summer season together.

No comments:

Post a Comment