Saturday, June 18, 2011

Still Learning

Over the past 2 years, I've done SO much research in the TTC realm that I really thought I knew it all. I knew that part of the laparoscopic procedure was to determine if endometriosis was a culprit with ones' fertility, and that often a woman won't have any signs of its existence until the surgery is done.  I've always had pretty painful periods (the first 24 hours are brutal)- but other than that and our "unexplained infertility", there weren't any other definitive signs.

From my previous research, I directly associated endometriosis' affect on fertility with scar tissue and with fusing different organs together. So when I had my follow up call with Dr. Vaughn post surgery, I got schooled again. Yes, I had moderate (considerate) amounts of endometriosis. But no, it hadn't affected fertility with scar tissue or by adhering anything together; rather, he said that the very presence of endo can alter one's hormones, and the effectiveness of how the tubes & uterus work in conception. I found this super fascinating, and of course had to research it further.

This article has a great description on the different ways endo can affect fertility, including hormonally. After having read it, I have even more hope that now my system is back to firing on all cylinders.

Go tubes! Go uterus! We're all cleaned out and squeaky clean, and we've got some work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment