Wednesday, December 12, 2012

One Month Old!

It's 12-12-12 today, and Iyla's official "One Month" milestone! Here's what she thinks about that:

Sad Reindeer. 
Someone is a little embarrassed by the hat mom chose...

On to her one month updates and highlights!

Feeding: Iyla continues to be a great nurser! I JUST figured out how to get her to nurse on the left side without choking- it was as simple as changing her position. Instead of doing the football hold where she is sitting upright, I have been laying her across my body in a side lying position- and *knocking on wood* she hasn't choked yet! And at her last feeding she ONLY fed on that side and totally snuffed her previously beloved right side- to which I had to do a sympathy pump session (lest it get engorged). She eats about every 3 hours 'round the clock.

Sleeping: She is still taking power naps almost constantly throughout the day- waking to feed & check out the world a bit before conking out again. She is also an extremely noisy sleeper! The sounds that come out of this little thing amaze me- grunts, cries, whimpers, and an occasional mid-sleep shriek. Yesterday was actually the first day I heard her elicit sounds (while she was awake) that were different from her typical grunts. A couple sweet lady like coos snuck out, and I look forward to more of those as she expands her baby vocabulary!

Iyla seems to have a consistent alert time in the morning after she wakes where for a couple hours she is awake, alert, & calm- with a Zen kind of look on her face and a sweet serene quiet about her. We had a bath yesterday morning during this reflective time, and you can see by her little face the sweet calm that comes over her:

Colic? What colic? My those birds are beautiful....

Mood/Temperament: When in her calm, contented state Iyla is still a very laid back, gentle spirit. Her feist is there, however, and comes out when she isn't happy about something or when the dreaded COLIC sneaks in. After my last post about the really LONG night, the following evening she had a pretty monumental scream fest. Poor BC was loving on her & trying to calm her, but it appears she just wants mama during those times. I think she wore herself out b/c she actually slept 4.5 hours after it- an amazing record for her! Both mama and baby were happy & productive yesterday as a result. Last night we were back to the 'normal' waking every 3 hours- including another fuss period around 2am. 

I had a photo shoot with Iyla yesterday to document her 1st month. She cooperated for a little while  and I managed to get a few cute shots of our little bean:


I attempted a wardrobe change into an adorable dress I keep pretending might finally fit her. We didn't make it through many shots before Iyla decided she was over.it and showed me as such by attempting to eat the dress:


And here are a few outtakes from the session, which I like to call "The Evolution of a Model Meltdown:"


Iyla and I went back to the chiropractor today. I have been feeling like I am about to throw my back out for the first time in YEARS, and was also curious if an adjustment might help with the colic. She had begun to fuss in her car seat when Dr. Ron took her. Her little eyes popped open as he gently worked reflex points on her back (he said babies actually adjust themselves- he just stimulates the necessary reflex points). As he worked, she broke out into the biggest smile! It was so adorable! Then he worked on her front around her stomach to adjust to alleviate some of the colic discomfort. Another huge smile! Then she passed out hard & peacefully in her car seat. Amazing. Even if it doesn't do anything toward the actual colic, it was worth it to see how much she enjoyed her birthday pampering!

Sad reindeer becomes peaceful reindeer after her adjustment

At one month postpartum I am now just about 9.5-10 pounds away from my pre pregnancy weight, and definitely still have a squishy muffin top. My maternity jeans are baggy on me and my regular jeans are REALLY tight, so depending on my mood on a given day I rock the baggy or tight look. I tried my trusty 'squeeze test' in the mirror today and saw an ever so slight deflection- but the overall test results point to my hips still being quite a bit wider, hence my jeans being quite a bit tighter (not to mention with the widening my thighs happily filled in the difference!)

I've been getting out and power walking with Iyla as often as I can, which feels great to my body. What doesn't feel great? Peeing myself every.time.we.walk. Seriously. What IS that? It isn't like a full bladder gush but every few blocks or so there is a mini gush that makes me suddenly go "OH!" and walk a little faster. I hope this is something that resolves itself as I tone those pelvic muscles- until then, I might need to invest in some adult diapers.

But since this post is meant to focus on Iyla-  I leave you with a few more photos of our big ONE MONTH OLD girl. We love you so much Iyla Grace!

*Love*

No comments:

Post a Comment