Friday, March 2, 2012

March Photo Challenge Day #2

Today's photo challenge subject: Feet



A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.




Lao-tzuThe Way of Lao-tzu

This picture was taken yesterday while waiting for my acupuncturist. I thought the groovy mod green walls went nicely with my freshly painted toenails. : )

Acupuncture itself amazes me. I've been going pretty consistently for the past 2 years, and since last November have been frequenting a clinic that specializes in fertility. My intent with yesterday's visit was to get some of this insane heat cleared from my body! The acupuncturist began by checking my pulse, and announced that it was "superficial."

What?

I'd never heard of that, and before I got all offended ('who you calling superficial, lady?!') decided to ask what that meant. To simplify, I found this explanation on the Internet:

***************************

The Floating, Superficial Pulse (Fu Mai)


Floating Pulse (浮脈 Fu Mai, superficial)
Key point: superficial
Indications: exterior condition: defensive yang mobilizes externally bringing with it the qi and blood, resulting in the floating pulse.
Yin deficiency: yin cannot anchor yang. Yang is “up” and yin is “down”. The floating pulse therefore may be described as the pulse that lacks “down” (also known as “root”).
Explanation: “floating” means the pulse is more evident when pressing lightly and as you press with more conviction, the pulse is no longer felt. Floating thus is a deficiency of root, or “down” sensation. Down is yin, up is yang. A lack of down suggests a deficiency of yin. Get it? That’s the internal reason, there’s an external reason too.


Ultimately, the floating pulse could be described as an internal deficiency (of yin) or external excess (of yang fighting off pathogenic factors).
*****************************
One of the most interesting results of this superficial pulse was that I felt every.single.needle.prick. Usually I hardly feel the tiny needles go in, with the rare exception of a spot needing extra attention. However, the superficial "yang" chi apparently hangs out right at the surface of my skin, making it extra sensitive. So my acupuncturist worked to balance this with the more rooted "yin" energy.


Ironic that what I was lacking was the chi of being rooted, because that is exactly how I've been feeling lately. A little confused and lost as to where to turn now in our TTC journey. And, while my body heat was drastically reduced (no heat flashes last night! I actually woke up COLD a few times)- I didn't have any deep rooted epiphanies about what my next steps will be, and still woke up with a 98.3 temp. 

Baby steps, feet. Baby steps.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely color combos! Acupuncture has changed my life. It makes me really happy to hear others speak highly of it!

    ReplyDelete